- Now Hiring! We are hiring CDL drivers! If interested please call Mary at 804-443-2366
- Pumping Concrete Into Those Hard to Reach Places! Schedule a Pumpcrete truck today to reach those hard to get to places 1-800-CONCRETE
- Aylett Sand & Gravel Call Aylett Sand & Gravel for all of your sand, gravel, and stone needs 804-769-2300
- Hauling Yard Blocks Yard blocks can be used for barriers, fences, and seawalls. Call today to place your order 804-443-2366
- Essex Concrete can provide concrete for both of your commercial and residential needs! Call 1-800-CONCRETE
- Combine Services to Get the Job Done Quicker! Essex Concrete working alongside Pumpcrete. Combine Pumpcrete service with our mixers to finish the job quicker!
- "We Dry Harder" Call Essex Concrete for all of your remodeling and repair needs. "We Dry Harder"
- Fun On the Farm! Essex Concrete thinking "outside of the box!"
-Bottoms Bridge VA
-Flat Rock VA
Main Office Address:
1251 Tappahannock Blvd.
Tappahannock, VA 22560
P.O. Box 127
Tappahannock, VA 22560
Office: 804-443-2366 Fax: 804-443-1336
Concrete Dispatch: 804-443-8218
Aggregates Dispatch: 804-769-2300
What is Ready Mix Concrete?
In its basic form ready mix concrete is a mixture of sand, stone, gravel, cement and water. The cement (a dry fine powder) is combined with water to form a paste, which is then mixed with fine and coarse aggregates (sand, gravel, and stone respectively) to form a solid material when cured. The sand acts as a filler between the larger pieces of stone in ready mix concrete. The paste, which is made of water and cement is the foundation or basis of the strength of the concrete. The paste is quantified by the water to cement ratio. The lower the water cement ratio the stronger the concrete mix. Simply put, water is both a friend and enemy to ready mix concrete. Water is needed to form the paste that binds to the sand and stone, but too much will break down the concrete mix and weaken its strength. Just enough water should be used to make the concrete workable. There can be other cementitious ingredients added to concrete such as fly ash, ground granulated blast furnace slag and silica fume in addition to a range of admixtures that can be used to enhance and change the properties of ready mix concrete.
Many people confuse the terms concrete and cement. Cement is the dry powdery material used to make concrete. The cement and concrete used in today’s construction is similar to that used by the ancient Romans. Cement from the Latin term caementum, meaning rough-cut stone, is made by heating crushed limestone and clay from shale in a kiln. This process forms a huge mass called a clinker, which is then ground into a powder becoming cement. Click Here to see how cement is made
There are various types of concrete mixes that can be designed based on specific job applications. Concrete mix designs can produce strengths in excess of 12,000 psi (pounds per square inch) for high rise applications to mixes with as little as 50 psi flowable-fill, which can be used as back fill and easily dug up and removed by the contractor later.
Special conditions and situations occur on almost every project. A pour in extremely hot or cold weather will require a mix with an extraordinarily high slump (consistency). Essex Concrete dispatchers and sales team are always available to assist you in your mix selection to insure the best possible results.
Essex Concrete provides a full range of ready mix concrete, from average residential use to heavy duty commercial use, to special mixes such as those required by VDOT.
We also provide additional products to enhance style, strengthen or retard and quicken the hardening process such as:
- Fiber Reinforcement
- Accelerators – Chloride & Non Chloride
- **Special additives upon request**
To answer all your questions and help you with your concrete needs, call Director of Sales Todd Vanlandingham (804) 836-3872 – Richmond, Fredericksburg, Essex
and Northern Neck Areas
To order your ready mix concrete now, call our dispatchers at:
1-800-CONCRETE (1-800-266-2738) or 804-443-8218. Our team of dispatchers will work with you to make sure you get the proper concrete design mix, in the appropriate quantity for your project.
For your custom concrete needs, please call the salesman for your area to discuss your unique requirements.